The History And Purpose Of Smoky Mountain Area Rescue Ministries
Smoky Mountain Area Rescue Ministries was established in 2001 through the efforts of a group of concerned citizens who came together to address the problem of homelessness and poverty in Sevier County. After prayerful consideration, they invited Knox Area Rescue Ministries to partner with them in seeking to provide emergency relief and other basic services for homeless and near homeless men, women, and families in the Sevier County area. Smoky Mountain Area Rescue Ministries is a Christ-centered, interdenominational ministry with a goal of reaching out to the hopeless and hurting in our community and providing them with renewed hope and an opportunity to come to faith in Christ or strengthening their faith in Christ through our meeting of their most basic needs for food, shelter, clothing, and other services.
While seeking to provide these most basic necessities, the ministry committed itself to sharing the love and compassion of Christ through its work. This cornerstone, the heart of Smoky Mountain Area Rescue Ministries, is summarized in our organization’s mission statement: SMARM was founded to demonstrate the love of Christ by serving individuals and families in their moment of need. SMARM provides one-on-one assessments and point-of-need services such as short-term housing, utility assistance, transportation, food and clothing. SMARM provides organized mentoring and permanent housing resources to help families move from crisis to stability.
Core Values of
Smoky Mountain Area
- To the belief that Jesus Christ is the cornerstone of Smoky Mountain Area Rescue Ministries.
- To love “our neighbors as ourselves” and affirm their value as people created in God’s image.
- To the belief that ministry to the poor is a priority in God’s economy.
- To insuring that our actions are guided by honesty, integrity, compassion, and love.
- To taking a community leadership role in creating opportunities for collaborative responses to providing rescue, relief and restoration to the poor and needy.
- To being diligent, grateful and effective stewards of the resources that God provides.
- To the belief that change and challenges are critical to the process of growth.
- To doing all that we do in a manner of excellence to the glory of God. We are dedicated to developing and enhancing our ministry to meet the needs of hurting people here in the Sevier County area. Due to the increase in requests for shelter and other services, the need for shelter-based relief and rescue is at a critical juncture. To this end, both our Board of Directors and our ministry staff are fully committed.
Smoky Mountain Area Rescue Ministries is located in the Treasures from the Heart Thrift Store building
Office entrance at 103 Joy Street, Sevierville
P.O. Box 5968 • Sevierville, TN • 37864
865-908-3153 • Fax: 865-908-3772